Interested in learning more about Food Safety? Check out these valuable resources!
GROW: Resources for Growers
Where can I find general food safety information related to Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) & Good Handling Practices (GHPs)?
- Produce Safety Alliance, Cornell University
The PSA is developing a nationwide curriculum to increase understanding of the principles of Good Agricultural Practices and to facilitate the implementation of food safety practices on fresh fruit and vegetable farms and in packinghouses.
- Fresh Produce Food Safety, Southeast Training Program
This resource includes fact sheets and PowerPoint slides with GAPs information for several types of fresh produce.
- Safe Produce Poster/ University of Hawaii
This poster includes a field to table checklist to minimize contamination of produce.
- List of food safety questions frequently asked by growers
- University of California Good Agricultural Practices website
Information is available on various topics including water quality and sanitizers.
Where are training materials for workers available?
- National GAPs Program, Cornell University
Educational and training materials in several languages are available from this site.
Where can I find information about farm food safety plans and self-audits?
- National GAPs Educational Materials
Through this link you can access 22 different sections of the Complete Farm Assessment.
- Farm Food Safety, Pennsylvania State University
Includes a farm food safety plan template and guidance for writing a plan.
- Grading, Certification & Verification - An example of a farm plan
- Joint Institute for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition GAPs Manual
A downloadable training manual is available in English and Spanish.
- Fresh Produce Audit Verification Program, United States Department of Agriculture - Agricultural Marketing Service
This resource includes GAP & GHP checklists, scoresheet, and commodity specific information regarding tomatoes, mushrooms, and leafy greens.
- USDA Audit Score Sheet
- Colorado Department of Agriculture GAP and GHP webpage
Includes contact information to request an audit.
FDA Guidance for Industry:
- Guide to Minimize Microbial Food Safety Hazards for Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
- Guide to Minimize Microbial Food Safety Hazards of Melons
- Guide to Minimize Microbial Food Safety Hazards of Leafy Greens
- Guide to Minimize Microbial Food Safety Hazards of Tomatoes
These guides are the basis for the GAPs standards and contain pertinent background information about where food safety issues occur and how they can be mitigated. The USDA also publishes a list of GAP/GHP certified firms for every state, and by commodity.
- Natural Resources Conservation Service: Animal Waste Management
- CSU Extension: Liquid Manure Management
- CSU Small Acreage Management- Animal Resources
- Chlorination in the Production and Post Harvest Handling of Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
- CSU Extension Irrigation Water Quality Criteria
- Small Acreage Management - Water Resources
- CSU Small Acreage Management: Preventing and Controlling Wildlife Damage
- CSU Extension Deer Management
- Small-Scale Postharvest Handling Practices: A Manual for Horticultural Crops
- CSU Farm Building Blueprints
Transportation & Traceability
- Food Safety for Farmers' Market Vendors
- Guide for Preparing and Offering Food Samples
- Preparing and Offering Food Samples to Consumers Brochure
PREPARE: Resources for Restaurants, Food Service and Retail Establishments
- Food Safety Works: Safe food handler training for retail, food service and educators.
- ServSafeŽ Food Protection Manager Certification Training
- CSU Food Processing Support Services Laboratory
EAT: Resources for Consumers
- CSU Extension Safefood Information Network
- The gateway to consumer-friendly federal food safety information
- Foodsafety.gov on Twitter
- Partnership for Food Safety Education
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- United States Department of Agriculture
- USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS)
- USDA FoodSafety's Channel on YouTube - Watch food safety videos in English, Spanish, and American Sign Language.
- Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) - The Food Safety Education site features resources for both consumers and educators.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention - Providing the vital link between illness in people and the food safety systems of government agencies and food producers
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration's Food Safety Division
- Need an answer quickly? Ask Karen your food safety questions using this automated 24/7 response system of the Food Safety Inspection Service.
- Information about foodborne illness
- Home Food Safety
- The latest research and technology information available to support food producers, processors, and marketers in their efforts to maintain and improve the nation's food supply from the EPA and other federal agencies
- Healthy People 2020 Food Safety objectives
- The Partnership for Food Safety Education
Food Safety and Home Food Preservation
- Fact Sheets: Food Safety, Preparation and Home Preservation
- Master Food Safety Advisor Volunteer Program: Become a trained community volunteer in food presrvation and safety.
- National Center for Home Food Preservation
Food Safety in an Emergency Situation
- Food Safety Issues After a Fire
- Food Safety and Storage for Emergency Preparedness
- Three-Day Emergency Supply of Shelf-Stable Food
- Water Storage
For High Risk Populations (pregnant women, young children, elderly, immunocompromised)
- Listeria Control and Safe food
- Food Safety during Pregnancy
- Healthy Baby Healthy Me
- Food Safety for Seniors training
- Education Materials: Pregnancy, HIV/AIDS, Cancer or Chronic Illness
- Health Professionals: Promoting Safe Food Practices during Pregnancy
- Dietary Managers/Staff: Serving Safe Food to the Elderly